Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Santa?

I am not so sure my kids are liking the whole Santa thing! :)



We have kind of struggled to know if we should have Santa part of our Christmas or if we should just teach them that Santa is a part of Christmas but mommy and daddy fill the the stockings and give the presents.

Growing up, I remember we never had a bad Christmas. There was always tons of presents under the tree and a we got a lot of stuff from Santa. But, I also remember members of the family and many friends who didn't have as much money as we did and so they didn't receive as much. I was always afraid to tell my friends all I got and I remember a couple of instances when we had to hide some of our presents when company came over.

Since my kids are getting older now and are starting to realize that there is this Santa person and are starting to understand stockings and opening presents, it has made me reflect upon what we want to do regarding Santa. I do remember Santa being a fun part of Christmas but I do also remember when I found out he wasn't real and what a horrible Christmas that was and how future Christmas' just weren't the same. I also started to think of my kids and their feelings. Right now, while Mike is going to school, we are not that financially stable! What if one Christmas we didn't have any money for gifts or for just one gift. What would our kids think? Would they think they have been bad this year? Would they think that Santa did not love them as much as their friends? It almost brought tears to my eyes to think of my kids disappointment. I also remember last year when we were living at Mike's parent's house and they were struggling and were not going to have Santa come and visit that year. Mike's mom wrote a letter from the internet to Dan and Cory stating how sorry he was but that he was not going to be able to make it to their house this year. I completely understood where his Mom was coming from and I thought that letter was a good idea at the time...but recently I thought about that and how devastated his brothers must have been. Did they think they were bad or that Santa didn't like them that year. I was on a forum on momdot the other day and this very question came up and most of the moms said that their kids believed in Santa but one mom said that Santa wasn't coming this year because he was broke. That just made me sad and that is what got my mind rolling on this topic.

Also, why does Santa get all the credit? Here I am working my butt off trying to sell bows and sell items on craigslist so that my kids will have a Christmas! Why should Santa get the credit for my hard work?

Sorry if I have offended anyone..it is not my intention..I am just trying to figure out what to do! I don't want my kids to spoil the fun for other kids but as of right now, I am feeling Santa is not right for us! Maybe later but not as of right now!

Any thoughts?

5 comments:

Megan Davenport Cannon said...

Yeah, I understand the conundrum. Craig and I were just discussing that recently as well. Of course you should do what you feel is best for your family.

Carolyn isn't old enough to understand, but onw thing that we have considered is presenting the fact the Saint Nicholas was a real person who has inspired millions, and that now Santa is more like a calling. Everyone has a bishop, but every ward's bishop is a different person. So Saint Nicholas in our day has many representatives.

So, there's one thing I have considered. Good luck!

Holwege Family said...

I agree with Megan, whatever works for you and your family. We're keeping Christmas very simple because I dislike how so many people have lost the focus on Christ.

Erika and Jason said...

I love the whole Santa idea because I think it kind of teaches children the principle of faith a little. I really think though that we should give our children a lot of presents because then that is all the focus is on. I think that Christmas was way more fun when there was someone who believes in Santa. It makes the morning and Christmas eve more magical. I think though we need to teach about Christ more and that it is celebrating His birth. Just some thoughts.

JT42 said...

you do what you think is right! every family has different circumstances and every parent has their reasons and teaching moments...take what you can and go with it! good luck and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! you deserve and good one!

Anonymous said...

Here is my 2 cents on the whole Santa thing. Yes you need to make your own decisions but your decision also reflects on other people. My old neighbor told her kids from the start and I didn't want my kids to "play" with her kids around the holidays for fear her children would say something. In my house we from the beginning told our children than Santa only gives one present plus the stocking. We give them the rest, that way if times are tough we can explain to them that mommy and daddy don't have much money this year so you wont be getting very much. But then they still get the one from Santa. Its not that Santa gets all the credit, its the gleam in their eyes and the looks on their face when they see what Santa brought. Our favorite Santa story is when Jordan was 3. He got a play kitchen. He came out into our family room and saw it. He started laughing so hard that he started to cry, and he immediately went over and started making something in the pretend microwave. I didn't feel cheated at all. What I got was a very excited boy that brought tears to my eyes. Yes Christ is a very big part of Christmas and so you as a family should make sure you incorporate that into the season but the magic of Santa is a whole other experience I would not my children to miss out on.
Just my 2 cents. Love you though on what ever you decide!