At the first house we stopped by they were teaching the kids how the pioneers had to wash their clothes. They let each kid have a turn washing some rags
and then laying them out to dry.
They also had some fun games that the pioneers used to play. I am not sure what this is called but it is kind of like the pongo stick but you don't jump, you just walk.
This game was really cool. You have two sticks and a circle and you use the 2 sticks to flip the circle in the air for the opponent to catch.
I think I caught it :)
They also had wheelbarrow rides and raking for the kids to do.
As you can see we spent a lot of time at that house. They also had several mind games that involved one trying to get a metal ring out of different contraptions.
After we finally left that house we let the kids go on pony rides.
Emma is getting so brave these days! She actually went on the horse by herself this year!
Then of course we had to go on the tour train for Joey :) It just so happened that we were able to ride all 3 trains this year.
The trains first stop was a replica of the Brooklyn ship that took the pioneers from Brooklyn to California. It was 1/6 of the true size of the original ship. The kids got to walk through it. Joey had a blast!
I am not sure what Emma is doing here..she looks like she holding on for dear life :)
They were giving away free popsicles and bottles of water all day and while we were waiting for the next train to arrive, a golf cart came up and offered everyone there some. It was very nice of them!
Here is Joey with his favorite of the 3 trains. It was called Black Hawk.
And here we are on the last of the 3 trains on our way to Brigham Young's farm house. Doesn't Mike look so happy to get his picture taken :)
Brigham Young had 2 homes. He had his farm house which is the one in this park and then he had his regular home which is the restaurant in downtown SLC called The Lion House.
Here is Emma loving the rocking horse in his house.
Joey and Emma outside the house.
After that we took the Black Hawk train back into town and saw a few more houses and a really neat Art Show. I wish I could have taken a picture of some of the artwork. I couldn't believe how young some of the artists were. There were even 5 year olds with amazing pictures. I guess we have some work to do :)
After that it was 5:00 and time for the park to close. It was a fun day and I am glad we were able to show the kids some of the pioneers homes and how they lived.
3 comments:
Looks super fun!!!!! You couldn't have done this in Moscow!!!!! :)
What a fun day!!! I can't believe how big your kids are!! They're darling Kami!! And you look fabulous as well!!
nice post!, sounds interesting!
Post a Comment