Tuesday, June 5, 2012

An Award, Birthday and Field Trip

On Monday, May 21st, Joey got another award at an assembly. Since they didn't have their assembly in April they had 2 in May. Joey got chosen by Mrs. Chrystler for this month's Character Counts. Each teacher picks a boy and a girl from their class. His award was for The Most Confident Student.

 Here is Joey getting his award


A very happy Joey


He also got chosen to receive a prize for his reading excellence


That day we also celebrated Mike's birthday. I started out the morning by making really yummy blueberry muffins from my pinterest board. They had a sugar lemon topping on top. Yum! He then opened his presents from us. He got two card games and some cute cards from the kids and me. For lunch we went to one of his favorite fast food restaurants, Sammy's. They make huge shakes out of real pies and cupcakes. The literally put a whole cupcake or piece of pie in the shake maker. It is pretty good!  For dinner, I made him a spinach bacon pasta dish sprinkled with blue cheese crumbles. And for his cake I made him a sachertorte. A sachertorte is a dark chocolate cake with apricot filling in the middle. It is something we had in Vienna. It is very hard to make and took all day but if there is a cake that Mike actually likes then I have to make it :)



On Tuesday, May 22nd, (Mike's actual birthday) I went with Joey on his X-box challenge field trip. Joey's principal gives all the students a challenge and whoever passes gets to go on a field trip that the principal puts together. There were about 100 first through 6 graders on this field trip and about 20 parents/teacher chaperons. We left at 8 am and got back around 5pm.

First we went to the Hogle Zoo
 

It worked out nicely. Each parent or teacher took 5 students. There were exactly 5 students from Mrs. Chrystler's class that got to go so I got to take all of them.



The tigers were being really funny. They were fighting with each other the whole time we were there. The kids loved it :)



Getting a picture with the giraffes for Emma




Silly kids




I loved these turtles. All of us thought they were stone at first but then they started to move their heads. :)




This elephant played pop goes the weasel and when it was done it sprayed water out of it's trunk.






This gorilla was hilarious. He just sat their right behind the glass staring at all the people with his arms folded. He looked like he was going to tell us all a story. The kids didn't want to leave :)


After the zoo we went to a park in Sugar House and ate lunch. Then it was off too Boondocks. Each kid and adult got an unlimited wrist band and 20 tokens for the arcade games.

All the kids playing skeeball


They all loved the rookie track





Joey passing his friend Samuel




We played miniature golf


Although the kids didn't quite have the idea down. :) They just zipped through the course hitting the ball over and over again until it went into the hole. Fastest game I have ever done :)





And of course the bumper boats. We did this twice. I went the first time and Samuel and Joey loved getting me and Eliana drenched. The 2nd time just the kids went.




On the bus headed home!


Since it was actually Mike's birthday today, I wanted to make it special as well. I had cinnamon crescents waiting for him and Emma when they woke up and then at 4 pm (the time he was born) I texted him and told him Happy Birthday and that there was a bag full of 30 things (since that is how old he is now) hidden in the closet. Emma did such a good job keeping this secret from him all day. She wanted to tell him so bad :)

That night some friends from BYU came over and ate dinner with us. We had Philly cheese steaks sloppy joe style and played the card games that Mike had gotten for his birthday.

It was a long exhausting day but a lot of fun as well!

No comments: