Thursday, April 10, 2014

Dr. Seuss Birthday and Myra's Birthday

On Sunday, March 2nd was Dr. Seuss' birthday so we decided to make a fun dinner and read Dr. Seuss Books.

The Lorax 

The Lorax pasta. It was colorful pasta (pink, yellow and orange) to resemble the colorful plastic town they lived in. The broccoli resembles the trees and the blue alfredo is the mystical river.


The table


For dessert we had strawberry pureed and then ice cream and then strawberry syrup and then whipped cream to resemble the cat and the hat's hat.



On Monday, March 10th would have been Myra's 6th birthday. Hard to believe she would have been in kindergarten this year.

This would have been my first year alone to celebrate it. Every year one of the kids has been home or Mike since he was in college. When I woke up Mike had surprised me and worked from home that day and the kids took the day off from school. 

For breakfast we had strawberry and orange zest butterfly biscuits. They were delicious!


For lunch the kids and I made butterfly hot dogs. I put some food coloring in egg whites and let the kids paint their lunch. They thought that was pretty cool :)


All ready to go

Not as pretty coming out but still fun to eat


Then, at the last minute, we decided to make butterfly sugar cookies. Emma and Mike decided that Myra might have been like them and not like cake so maybe we shouldn't do a cake this year. I guess maybe we will do a cake every other year  :)


The pretty purple cookies


For dinner, I made bowtie pasta since they look like butterflies. It was a nice day and I was glad we could all celebrate it together. I wish we could have been flowers on her grave but I was grateful we were there during the holidays.

1 comment:

Self Family said...

So hard to believe she would have been 6 years old. So much has happened and yet in a way it seems like just yesterday. She's lucky to have such a loving and caring mommy and daddy and brother and sister. So many people love our sweet Myra. Grandma and Grandpa love you, Myra!